cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:25:40 GMT
On 07 Apr 2004, at 16:05, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> On 07 Apr 2004, at 11:09, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>> The issue is not so technical as it's of indipendence from something
>>> that, in the good and the bad, has not helped Cocoon be built by
>>> Gump for ages now.
>> As much as I like "Gumpinal Correctness" for the sanity of us Cocoon
>> committers, I'm not sure whether Gump has the goal of driving
>> architectural decisions for the projects it is aggregating
>> information from. It is a helper tool and should not decide for us,
>> no?
>
> Gump is deciding for us? Did I read "Gump wrote?" :-P
>
> The fact is that a tool tells me that a project we depend upon does
> not get built regularly: this *does* impact on architectural
> decisions.

The reason of Excalibur not building might perhaps be because of its
developers not caring enough about providing a strong contract to its
users. We have an established codeset and user base which have
habitually been adopting and using the Avalon *APIs* (I'm not referring
to a particular container here) because of (a) they found out about
them inside Cocoon, and were encouraged to use them for their own
Cocoon components, and (b) maybe they even started to actually like
them, and thus might expect us to provide identical services and
interfaces in our own container - backed by a healthier community. We
must be careful to not alienate developers and users as Avalon did.
(Mind you that I'm only expressing my own vague concerns, I'm not
suggesting we are doing a bad job here.)

> Remember? Build on sand, build on stone... maybe you haven't been
> reading.

I have. But knowing my programming skills, feel free to skip my opinion
if that makes things easier. :-)

I see some value in the concerns that Carsten wants to express, and I
think it would be beneficial if many people give their
opinion/concerns/ideas. Otherwise, it feels like watching a
German/Italy football game. :-)

Just some copper 0.01 EUR coins,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org