cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Serializers issues...
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:46:11 GMT
On 21 Apr 2004, at 20:22, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 21.04.2004 20:44, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> We were looking at it monday morning with Jeremy, and we have ben
>> unable to get to the point where you were (took us roughly 2 hours
>> round and round the configs)...
>> Took me 30 minutes to patch up the Garbage serializers, and another
>> hour to put it into a nice block, making sure it built and so on...
>> The problem was that when we fixed something somewhere (on some
>> browser) it broke on another, and so on and so forth... With the
>> Garbage serializer that doesn't happen, and we can go on with the
>> development.
>
> The pragmatic programmer :) What I have indeed *not* done was testing
> it in every browser. You seemed to focus on the validness, so I have
> looked only for this.

Frankly, we're a publication company... At this point in time we could
totally care less about "conformance", all we care about is that 99% of
our customers can see the pages nicely as our designers planned them
(and there's a HECK of CSS and JavaScript in them). For us differences
in browsers are killers (and given that we ain't have enough time ATM,
we can't adapt pipelines individually: one must work for all).

>>> But isn't this only due to insufficient browser capabilities? IMO
>>> it's ok if an
>>> XHTML does not add the meta tag. Only those stupid browsers that
>>> ignore the xml
>>> declaration!
>> ????????? I'm talking about this tag found in the XSLT for the home
>> page of our distro (welcome.xslt):
>
> Yes, I know. And I refered to the comment written above it. What I
> meant was if the encoding is given through the XML declaration there
> is no further need for the meta tag. But the spec states that both xml
> declaration and meta tag must be included while the xml declaration
> takes precedence (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_9).

Kewl, but then, does the XALAN XHTML serializer put it in there?

>> If I change the serializer configuration (for example, change
>> encoding to ISO-8859-1, I don't like UTF-8) that tag will be copied
>> across to the output, and the browser will panic.
>> That <meta> tag MUST be written by the HTML serializer (or XHTML
>> serializer), and must NOT be encoded in an XSLT in a pipeline, as
>> pipelines use char(s) and not byte(s).
>
> Of course, the possible araised problems are obvious.

>>> You mean the output options should not be under control of the
>>> stylesheet?
>> Absolutely not... Cocoon internally is 100% unaware of any whatsoever
>> encoding of characters... For instance it doesn't even know whether a
>> character such as (C) [the copyright character] can be encoded in the
>> output (imagine that I use an US-ASCII encoding). It _must_ not know
>> it, that's the realm of the serializer.
>
> Yes, also obvious. I only did not know if that was the point of your
> statement.

One of ! :-)

	Pier