cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:08:54 GMT
On 08 Apr 2004, at 14:50, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> At the same time, to put it rather explicitly: I don't want anything
> in org.apache.avalon.* to be a core dependency of org.apache.cocoon.*
> anymore because I don't trust avalon anymore: avalon is quicksand and
> you can't expect it to be there tomorrow in the same shape you want it
> to be.

I think many people agree on the fact that we shouldn't depend on the
Avalon products/containers anymore for Cocoon core operations. Some
would like compatibility to run existing components as-is, which seems
not trivial and shouldn't slow down the innovation train. OTOH, we
cannot simply throw the good ideas behind Avalon's lifecycle management
and container services away just because their method signatures carry
the org.apache.avalon name, no?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org