cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Olson <tol...@marketingforce.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts (was Re: [RT] Checked exceptions considered harmful)
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:44:27 GMT
> > Yes, we habe FOM. The difference to the sitemap is that the sitemap
> > enforces the contract while flow doesn't.
>
> One drastic approach would be to stop flow from being able to access
> java at all, if not thru FOM. I would be in favor of that
> once we have
> the real block system running, but at that point it might
> well be too late.

we already have a nice system of flow helper methods to access entity beans
and pump them into XML.  we use flow to select which components are needed
when, and the contract with our GUI designers is XML.  we were already burnt
quite badly when sendPage() became a requirement, since we were using flow
to merely select actions and the sitemap had all of our branching.  we are
now unable to upgrade past 2.1.2 without major refactoring which honestly we
can't afford to do.
you theoreticians seem all too willing to break production systems to
enforce your latest notion of best practices.