cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] polymorphism and hotswapping
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:15:59 GMT
Le 14 avr. 04, à 11:55, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> ...Blocks are running inside the same VM and although a wiring can
> switch, it cannot suddenly disappear. And we can find a lot of
> strategies to make this transparent to client code (including my idea
> of deferring actual switch which strangely had no feedback)....

Deferring, does that mean keeping the "old" block around as long as
it's in use, while the "new" block is used by clients that have
recently started using it?

If yes, this is (AFAIK) exactly what unix/linux has been doing for ages
with executables:  you can replace an executable that is already
running, and processes which are already running keep using the old
version.

It works very well combined with "kill" to cleanup old processes and
restart them with the new version, so maybe in the case of blocks some
kind of "kill" and "ps" equivalents would be needed to make this work
well.

-Bertrand