cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] polymorphism and hotswapping
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:39:02 GMT
Le 9 avr. 04, à 16:41, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :

> ...first of all, I apologize if I sounded somewhat harsh at time in
> the past two weeks. It's been a hell of a time, 8 hour-long meeting in
> highly political places (semantic web + jcp) and, boy, I didn't have
> enough time between things to realize that here I was *not* constantly
> under attack....

Thanks! You *did* sound harsh to these ears recently, but if you've
been subjected to 8 hour-long political meetings this is more than
understandable ;-)
(by the way, do the conventions of Geneva even *allow* 8-hour meetings?)

> ...Now, as of polymorphism, that *is* a requirement and I think
> everybody agrees with me....

Yes, certainly.

> ...Now, the need for polymorphism is well understood and required,
> while the need for hotwappability is somewhat a "plus"...

Actual uses for hotswap that come to my mind are:
a) During development. Being able to reload stuff quickly helps your
write-run-crash cycle.
But developers will find all sorts of usable workarounds if there's no
real hotswappability (ok let's write h13y from now on;-)

b) h13y of skins/presentation stuff on a production site.
But there are many techniques already in Cocoon to do this without
requiring "real" h13y at the blocks level.

Also, like Gianugo, I think the well-known "low-tech h13y" techniques
(load balancers etc.) are good enough for most uses. Well, relatively
low-tech, rather "simple".

So for me:

> ...Do we really need hotswappability?

Not now, at least not at an "entrerprise-ready" level.
Simple limited reloading of stuff can be useful at development time if
it's cheap to implement.

-Bertrand