cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:46:27 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Guido Casper wrote:
>> Yes, I realized that flowscript is the perfect solution to the missing
>> piece of the pyramid of contracts for the webapp space.
>>
>> I just feel we should much more leverage it for this role and it is
>> vital to give more emphasis to the user.
>

> I'm wide open to proposals that help in this direction, Guido, because
> I'm 100% with you on this and if we are ruining the pyramid of contract
> with flowscript I want to know and I want to fix this as fast and
> painless as possible.
>
> I continue to believe that cocoon.getComponent(role) within the real
> block framework is good enough for what we need.
>
> But if you have a better idea, well, you know I'm always ready to throw
> stuff away when I see something better.

No, I don't have something better.

I believe that the ideas expressed within this thread (about
differentiating between "internal" and "official" javadocs)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105766229504616&w=2
(recently being pointed at by Unico)
are a perfect starting point.

<quote of="Sylvain">
We could then have a full javadoc, as of today, and a restricted
"official API" javadoc, based on these @usage tags. This official API
will also be far more lightweight and so less frightening for newcomers.
</quote>

This pretty much matches with Martin Fowlers notion of "published
interfaces".
http://www.martinfowler.com/ieeeSoftware/published.pdf

<quote of="Fowler">
There's something to be said for the public-published distinction being
more important than the more common public-private distinction.
</quote>

Once such a customized doclet mechanism is in-place (Does someone know
wether QDox already has an Ant task? Or maybe we should use XDoclet for
that?) it may easily be extended for "some kind of" flowscript-API.

Guido

--
Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source