cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts (was Re:[RT] Checked exceptions considered harmful)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:16:09 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>>> Components are existed before Flow, but Flow is more popular than
>>> writing
>>> components, the question is why?
>>

>> flowscript + notepad vs. components + eclipse. and the winner concerning
>> development lifecycle time is: flowscript.
>> Flowscript is:
>>   a) scripted
>>   b) automatically reloaded by cocoon after changes without container
>> restart.
>

> See? *this* is what I'm talking about.
>
> Now we made it easier to write flowscript than to write components, now
> we have to focus on making it easier to write components than flowscript.
>
> How?
>
> Chris' magic compiler classloader is the way to go, IMHO.

 From a users point of view: YES YES YES. I am now porting an application
from pure flowscript to Java since I got a headache from looking at
the 1000+ lines, 4000+ words flowscript based app. And this was only
the framework for the business logic:)

The reason I did this was actually because I didn't want my WEB-INF classes
with application specific classes. And re-starting each time I test
is also not preferred. I think if the compiler/classloader would have
existed for flowscript I would just use that, as Java is very much simpler
to develop and maintain.

I think though, that some formal properties of a component (what makes
a component a component) should be defined. A bit like the way JavaBeans
are defined: A java bean has ...).

Leon