cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Binary release? (was Re: [vote] Versioning Guide)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:26:01 GMT

Upayavira wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Marc Portier wrote:
>>

>>> - I would like us to make binaries again somewhere soon. Apart from
>>> the outcome of that discussion I find it odd to use the way we
>>> distribute as an argument for anything mentioned here, no?
>>>

>> I guess as soon as we have real blocks we can switch to binary
>> releases again if we want. But the reasons for recompiling
>> are of course still valid.
>>
> No, these reasons aren't valid. In fact, I don't believe they ever were
> valid.

there is a bit too much double negations for me to still grasp what is
being said...

my opinion:
- recompiliation of your own extension code (not of cocoon)  _is_
sensible with new releases of cocoon (regardless of how that is
distributed) for only one reason:  Even if we guarantee extension
compatibility the compilation will yield deprecation warnings and signal
where changes are to be foreseen.

> We need a 'build' process, but not necessarily a 'compilation' process.

with 'we', you refer to cocoon application builders, right?
(not the cocoon-dev group here)

I agree.

> We could have a distribution that includes all of the jar files ready
> compiled. Then, when the user has unpacked this distribution, they edit
> their local.blocks.properties, etc, and run build, which prepares the
> webapp, copying only those precompiled jars across that are actually
> needed, and running the XConfPatch task, etc, etc.

absa!
(would even like to see the jars distributed via maven or the like then)

> I imagine this would be quicker for the user, and would probably result
> in a far smaller distribution.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

-marc=