cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Binary release? (was Re: [vote] Versioning Guide)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:07:10 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Marc Portier wrote:
>

>>- I would like us to make binaries again somewhere soon.
>>Apart from the outcome of that discussion I find it odd to
>>use the way we distribute as an argument for anything
>>mentioned here, no?
>>

>I guess as soon as we have real blocks we can switch to binary
>releases again if we want. But the reasons for recompiling
>are of course still valid.

No, these reasons aren't valid. In fact, I don't believe they ever were
valid.

We need a 'build' process, but not necessarily a 'compilation' process.

We could have a distribution that includes all of the jar files ready
compiled. Then, when the user has unpacked this distribution, they edit
their local.blocks.properties, etc, and run build, which prepares the
webapp, copying only those precompiled jars across that are actually
needed, and running the XConfPatch task, etc, etc.

I imagine this would be quicker for the user, and would probably result
in a far smaller distribution.

Regards, Upayavira