cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <>
Subject Re: [vote] Versioning Guide
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:29:33 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> compatibility. But as Cocoon is distributed as a source release that you
> have to compile anyway, it's saver to compile your own application code (if

2 thoughts:

- I think this has more to do with the nature of Java, then how we
release stuf (i.e. there is no real distinction between compiling versus
source or class files AFAICS, that is why we cannot make the distinction
the apr blokes are making between source and binary compat, no?)

- I would like us to make binaries again somewhere soon. Apart from the
outcome of that discussion I find it odd to use the way we distribute as
an argument for anything mentioned here, no?

> any) using the version of Cocoon that your application runs on.

- you'll get warned of deprecated parts of the API

and one  more suggestion after reading it all

(to be added at the end)

The above expresses the intentions of the cocoon community to support a
release management contract to all the users of the framework.  However
reality observes that the path to hell is paved with goood intentions.
In case anyone finds clear violation of these good intentions he/she
should report those to in order to let proper
action be taken. (which might be reverting some changes and/or assigning
a different version number)

apart from that,

big +1, and thx for this work, Carsten.

Marc Portier