cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:26:32 GMT
On 19.04.2004 11:08, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> If you are familiar with O/R-mapping tools I always recommend them, also
> in scenario two.
>
> The question is, how do we deal with scenario two if the user is _not_
> familiar with e.g. OJB. I think O/R-mapping is rather straight forward
> but IMO there are users who don't want to write programmes at all.

IMO learning mapping file XML dialects, O/R mapper configuration files
and so on is to much stuff for the beginning. Let them start with pure
SQL or poorly abstracted syntax. If that's ESQL, SQLTransformer, or
Groovy is unimportant IMO. There only must be the possibility.

> They prefer XML declarations.

XML declarations? Probably I don't get the point.

> Another point is the (often discussed) CocoonForms-database binding for
> this user group.

Binding forms directly to databases sounds weird. There are not many use
cases IMO, maybe questionnaires for most simple inserts. Even reports do
not show database data directly, do they?

Joerg