cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:14:53 GMT
On 20.04.2004 20:39, Guido Casper wrote:

> That's interesting. Would you care to explain to me what the difference
> between a DB transaction and an object transaction is?

DB transactions are the normally known transactions and about atomicity
of multiple sql statements put together. Object level transactions
ensure atomicity of all changes done on an object and possible dependencies:

"The ODMG API uses object-level transactions, compared to the
PersistenceBroker dat abase-level transactions. An ODMG  Transaction
instance contains all of the changes made to the object model within the
context of that transaction, and will not commit them to the database
until the ODMG  Transaction   is committed. At that point it will use a
database transaction to ensure atomicity of its changes." [1]

Joerg

[1]
http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:BIZvd92HVDkJ:db.apache.org/ojb/odmg-tutorial.html+site:db.apache.org+%22object+level%22+transaction&hl=de&ie=UTF-8