cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [cforms] refactoring questions (was Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/formmodel Struct.java Messages.java Repeater.java MultiValueField.java AbstractContainerWidget.java Output.java Upload.java Action.java Form.java ContainerDelegate.java AbstractWidget.java Field.java Union.java BooleanField.java Widget.java)
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:33:29 GMT
On 21.04.2004 13:53, Marc Portier wrote:

> so I'm going for getId on form to return "" (which it was)
> and removing getId() == null checks since I favour the NPE here

Please not waiting for the NPE somewhere latter in the code for the
reasons Ugo pointed out.

>>> Don't know which is best.  *If* we cannot decide (due to different needs
>>> in different usecases) then we will need to add an attribute to let the
>>> form designer control the behaviour.
>>
>> hm, we should at least be consistent
>
> clarifying a bit more:
>
> we seem to have two distinct cases:
> widgets with child-widgets
> - i've seen code that doesn't evaluate the parent if one of the kids is
> invalid
> - but all kids seem to be evaluated even if a previous brother failed
>
> widgets with validation on definition and widget level
> - widget level rules stop evaulation if the definition level was not ok,
> and as soon as one of the widget-level validations fails
>
> I haven't given it much thought yet, if there are clear positions out
> there I'm quite happy to just enforce code wise (and add some javadocs
> removing any possible future surprise)
>
> so comments welcome

IMO validation should always run on all widgets as it must be possible
for the user to get a whole form fixed in one step:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=107962387820282&w=4
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=107963156530885&w=4

Joerg