cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: release management guide (was Re: [RT] Versions)
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:35:23 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

<snip type="large" />

>> Examples
>> --------
>> Here are some examples to demonstrate the compatibility:
>>
>> Original Version    New Version    Usage Compatible    Extension
>> Compatible
>> 2.2.3                  2.2.4          Yes                      Yes
>> 2.2.3                  2.3.1          Yes                      No
>> 2.2.3                  3.0.0          No                       No
>>
>> Note: while some of the cells say "no", it is possible that the
>> versions may be compatible, depending very precisely upon the
>> particular APIs used by the application.
>>

> I think we will need *a lot* of testcases to guarentee the compatibility.

I agree, however on the sort-term and more pragmatic side of things: all
users out there are a very large test-cases-base, since we're up to
publishing this versioning contract to them we should at least promptly
react when people notice we've not lived up to it. (which should be:
re-introduce promised backwards compat and/or change the version number)

-marc=