cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:39:57 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz dijo:
>
>>I'm aware of the fact that there are many ways in Cocoon. I think that
>>we as community should give clear advice what's in our opinion the best
>>way. If I'm asked I say:
>>
>> 1. Enterprise Level  --->  O/R-mapping, EJB
>>
>> 2. Simple Database Applications  with CRUD (create/update/delete)
>>                      --->  Flowscript and Database Component
>
> With Groovy the (2) will be easier.
>
>> 3. Publishing        --->  SQLTransformer
>

> I think (2) can be also be used with O/R mapping tool. Not sure what the
> DB component is. In fact (and with my respect to ESQL developers) why
> Cocoon will need to build another layer when there is OJB. Remeber OJB
> allow you to play at 4 levels:
>
> A-PersistenceBroker - A very simple API to deal with DB. With DB
> transactions, but not object transactions
> B-OTM - Object Transaction Manager. The same as above + Object Transaction.
> C-ODMG
> D-JDO
>
> In this way OJB is not exclusive for big leaguers. You can use OJB in
> minor applications too.

That's interesting. Would you care to explain to me what the difference
between a DB transaction and an object transaction is?

<snip/>

>>You also asked how the DatabaseComponent which I'm thinking of could
>>work - here an example:
>>
>>function myDBFunc() {
>>    var myDBComp = cocoon.getComponent("myDBComp");
>>    myDBComp.setMapping("mappingFile.xml");
>>    myDBComp.add("tableSet-A"); // tell the component which tableset to
>>use
>>    cocoon.sendPageAndWait("blabla", {});
>>}

I like that.

> I will prefer OJB people to make what they do the best.

which is an O/R-mapper for which you need an object model, which you
might not have (and maybe don't want to have).

BTW do you have an idea how OJB might work with Dynabeans (or XMLBeans)?
(just thinking out loud again)

Guido

--
Guido Casper