cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:46:51 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I already said in several mails that we should reduce the recommended
>>
>> 1.) Use O/R-mapper if possible
>> 2.) if you only have publishing tasks use the sqlTransformer
>> 3.) If the learning curve for an O/R-mapper is too steep for you take
>> ????
>>     (In my opinion this is a simple DB-component as described below)
>>
>> What I want to tell all users clearly is that they should avoid
>> writing SQL-statements. Integrating SQL in applications is the start
>> of a maintainence nightmare and IMHO we should clearly warn them
>> using XSP, Groovy or any other templating system requiring you to
>> write SQL *into* the code. Once again, I really like e.g. JXTG but it
>> should *never* contain SQL statements.
>

> Just wondering, is there any real difference between having say a
> <for-each-row query="select whatever from whatever"> macro in JXTG and
> SQL transformer? In fact, wouldn't JXTG be more useful for publishing
> (since you can perform conditional branching and additional variable
> substitution) than SQL Transformer? Or, if not then perhaps SQL
> transformer itself should be eliminated. At any rate, shouldn't it be
> a generator rather than a transformer?

I think the question is what you need it for: I believe that people
writing *applications* using Cocoon shouldn't have to write SQL
statements in their code. There are easier, and *more maintainable*
solutions (O/R-mapper). If people use Cocoon for *publishing*, I think
the situation is different and your proposal makes perfect sense.

It will be very interesting in the next months with all those efforts to
generate XML (Groovy, Tempo, ...).

                                   - o -

Pls, don't get me wrong. I don't want to prevent anybody from developing
any new way to generate XML in Cocoon. I _only_ want to find a clear
statement within the Cocoon community which is the *recommended* way
doing it and *why* we think so because at the moment we have to many
options accessing DBs and generating XML without clear statements.

--
Reinhard