cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:27:39 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

<snip>

> I already said in several mails that we should reduce the recommended
>
> 1.) Use O/R-mapper if possible
> 2.) if you only have publishing tasks use the sqlTransformer
> 3.) If the learning curve for an O/R-mapper is too steep for you take
> ????
>     (In my opinion this is a simple DB-component as described below)
>
> What I want to tell all users clearly is that they should avoid
> writing SQL-statements. Integrating SQL in applications is the start
> of a maintainence nightmare and IMHO we should clearly warn them using
> XSP, Groovy or any other templating system requiring you to write SQL
> *into* the code. Once again, I really like e.g. JXTG but it should
> *never* contain SQL statements.

Just wondering, is there any real difference between having say a
<for-each-row query="select whatever from whatever"> macro in JXTG and
SQL transformer? In fact, wouldn't JXTG be more useful for publishing
(since you can perform conditional branching and additional variable
substitution) than SQL Transformer? Or, if not then perhaps SQL
transformer itself should be eliminated. At any rate, shouldn't it be a
generator rather than a transformer?

Chris