cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Modular database component
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:29:58 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz dijo:
>

>>You also asked how the DatabaseComponent which I'm thinking of could
>>work - here an example:
>>
>>function myDBFunc() {
>>    var myDBComp = cocoon.getComponent("myDBComp");
>>    myDBComp.setMapping("mappingFile.xml");
>>    myDBComp.add("tableSet-A"); // tell the component which tableset to
>>use
>>    cocoon.sendPageAndWait("blabla", {});
>>}
>

> I will prefer OJB people to make what they do the best. Is worth to make
> another DB support in Cocoon anothe propietary API? AFAIK, Cocoon is the
> "glue" for webapp needs. And here we will go to another area. Also, why
> reinvent the wheel again?
>

>>Maybe the DatabaseComponent should support reading operations too.
>>The question is whether we don't duplicate the efforts of e.g. OJB with
>>this approach? The only difference is that you don't need Java objects ...

Hmm, how hard would it be to come up with some sort of Avalon component
that wraps OJB's PersistenceManager?  Or would we not even have to use
it as an Avalon component if we can just directly get a
PersistenceManager instance?

I would wager that if we had easy access to the PersistenceManager (or
other similar things) in Flow, that could easily cover 80% of the use
cases.

Just thinking out loud,

Tony