cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: OT: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:17:54 GMT

Leszek Gawron wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 03:24:50PM +0200, Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>>Leon Widdershoven wrote:
>>
>>>But I'm glad to hear that Hibernate is quite easy to start with.
>>>The moment I get some time off I will certainly jump in the
>>>deep and try to survive:)
>>
>>There is a middle ground between a full-fledged O/R mapping layer and
>>raw JDBC calls. You could, for instance, try Spring's JDBC template
>>classes [1], as they take care of the tedious, repetitive and
>>error-prone, like setting up a connection, managing transactions,
>>handling errors and properly releasing resources.
>>
>>An advantage of using Spring is also that it supports Hibernate and JDO
>>out-of-the-box, so graduating from JDBC to an O/R persistence layer
>>might be easier.
>>
>>DISCLAIMER: I've never used Spring, just read its documentation and I
>>really like what I've seen so far. Might be using it for a future
>>project, though.
>>
>>	Ugo
>>

>>http://www.springframework.org/docs/reference/jdbc.html
>
> There is also a library called DbUtils at Jakarta
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbutils/).
>
> DISCLAIMER: I've never used DbUtils, just read its documentation :)
>
> quote:
> DbUtils is a small set of classes designed to make working with JDBC easier.
> JDBC resource cleanup code is mundane, error prone work so these classes
> abstract out all of the cleanup tasks from your code leaving you with what you
> really wanted to do with JDBC in the first place: query and update data.
>
> 	lg

I also read the docs for that. As it happens I already had a home grown
mini library to do just that before I saw this. There are quite
a lot Java packages that work more comfortable if you just wrap them
in some exception-catching auto-initialisation classes:)

The original topic was, though, that there is no easy default for database
access within flowscript. And I think a "light" and "advanced" "recommended"
way for database access from within flowscript would do a lot of good. This
is, though, not going to happen if I've followed the discussion right:)

Leon