cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: OT: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:32:38 GMT

To me, hibernate is overkill and yet another thing to manage. The
advantage of esql is that it is simple, and has a single layer access
to the database.

Hibernate is more complicated to set up, and then has to be maintained.
If you use plain SQL, only the queries have to be maintained. If you
use hibernate, it also has to be maintained.

For plain old statements like select * from foo where bla=<xsp:request.../>
it's just overkill to me.

I do think hibernate is very good - for advanced usage. I think it
is a shame that people are forced to either use xsp or use plain
java.sql access to the database in flowscript.

the combination Javascript and SQL is hard enough for beginners -
starting out with yet another component that needs to be
configured is IMHO just too much.

Please note that I do not undervalue Hibernate, or OJB. But they
are both powerfull tools, and powerfull tools tend to be harder
to initialize that simple stuff (sql) for simple work. That this
is not suppurted is the reason that I only use flowscript where
I really need a multi-stage flow. XSP is still better suited
(easier to read, modify and maintain, debug) for simple SQL queries
and updates. A shame as flowscript is more powerfull and better suited
to development.

Leon