cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] don't edit files just for style changes?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:57:55 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Lately there have been several hints that people are annoyed by commits
> consisting only of style changes (rearranging imports, "cleaning up"
> indents) etc.
>
> Of course, there are always good intentions behind such changes, but
> IMHO changes which make no difference to the actual code, are:
>
> a) risky, because every time one edits a file there's a small risk of
> making a change to the code without meaning it
>
> b) a waste of our collective energy, as (hopefully) many of us are
> regularly scanning CVS diff mails, and if it's just to find out that two
> brackets have been moved it's not very useful.
>
> I have three suggestions:
>
> 1) As a general rule, we should refrain from making such changes to our
> code, unless there is a good reason (code change for example) to edit
> the file in question.
>
> 2) When editing a file for a good reason, we should look for such
> "style" problems and fix them at the same time, or as a separate commit,
> but before testing our changes.
>
> 3) We should not change the indentation / code writing style (brackets
> etc.) of a file when making a minor change to it.
>
> The idea is to keep the flow of CVS diff messages as low as possible, to
> save our neuronal bandwidth for more important things than the placement
> of brackets or the order of imports.
>
> WDYT?

Big +1, even if I find myself guilty of this.

The benefit of clean style is not enough to pay the collective price of
the reduced signal/noise ratio of the CVS diff knowledge broadcast.

If people start considering that channel to be too noisy, less people
will take a look at it, thus killing our feedback loop that stabilizes
our system.

I think that once you realize the danger of doing so, you also realize
why you shouldn't do it.

So, thanks Bertrand for keeping it up!

--
Stefano.