cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make ProcessingException extend CascadingRuntimeException
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:01:46 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:
> If the end-result of this is users seeing
> more stacktraces, or plain 404 or 500 errors, I go -1.

Users should see *shorter* and more meaningful stacktraces.

> If the end
> result is developers can still "catch" errors in the sitemap and display
> custom "oops" pages instead (as currently) then I go to +0.

There is no plan to remove "catch" clauses from the sitemap processor,
so the usual <map:handle-errors> should still work as usual.

>If,
> however, this means backwards incompatibility or behavior change with
> existing components (external too, not only in our cvs) then I go back
> to -1 no matter what.

Removing a checked exception from the "throws" clause of a method
declaration is a backward-compatible change.

However, if we later on decide that this was not a good idea after all,
readding a checked exception is backward-incompatible. This would only
affect people who wrote code, calling this method without a try-catch
block, in the interval between the two changes. I think that this is
quite improbable and easily caught.

Hope this clears your doubts.

	Ugo