cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make ProcessingException extend CascadingRuntimeException
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:04:33 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> I think everyone interested has had the option of venting his opinion on
> the subject of checked vs. unchecked exceptions. For the record, here
> [1] is the relevant thread.
>
> In order to move forward, I propose to reparent the
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException to extend
> org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException instead of
> CascadingException.
>
> The change is backward-compatible and is a one-line change that can be
> reverted easily, but might have implications on the way we manage
> exceptions in the future.
>
> I've already performed the change locally and everything compiles. Tests
> fail, but they failed also before the change :-(.
>
> So, please cast your votes.
>
>     Ugo
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108188608400002&r=1&w=2

I have next to no time to follow the discussion, or comment fully, but I lean to
  -.5 because I have a feeling that the thought process is too geared to how
developers want to see errors, not how developers should want users to see
errors.  If the end-result of this is users seeing more stacktraces, or plain
404 or 500 errors, I go -1.  If the end result is developers can still "catch"
errors in the sitemap and display custom "oops" pages instead (as currently)
then I go to +0.  If, however, this means backwards incompatibility or behavior
change with existing components (external too, not only in our cvs) then I go
back to -1 no matter what.

Geoff