cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make ProcessingException extend CascadingRuntimeException
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:24:07 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> In any case (and note that this is a vote, not a veto) the main reason
> is that in doing this we risk to throw out the baby with the water: I
> prefer a lot to remove ProcessingExceptions comptely and have the Cocoon
> components throw all the exceptions that the container can and will
> handle. IOW, I don't want to have an implicit contract but a more
> detailed and explicit one. In any case, generic ProcessingExceptions are
> evil, and this is a fact that we have known for a long time.

We have something worse than generic ProcessingExceptions being thrown,
we have components throwing CascadingException. Which not only force
clients to check them, but create an unnecessary dependence on Avalon.

And I'm not going to throw out any baby. I'm going to throw out lots of
totally useless "catch" clauses that do nothing but litter the code.

When we have done that, we'll have a cleaner baby, and we can send him
to school so that he can learn to behave himself properly. But this is
going to take time.

So, the options are: start small, remove useless code and do "continuous
design", like Berin advocated. Or discuss for months, come up with a
renewed exception hierarchy and take some more months to implement it.

	As always, IMHO

		Ugo