cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Make ProcessingException extend CascadingRuntimeException
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:16:03 GMT

Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Ugo Cei wrote:
>>> I think everyone interested has had the option of venting his opinion
>>> on the subject of checked vs. unchecked exceptions. For the record,
>>> here [1] is the relevant thread.
>>> In order to move forward, I propose to reparent the
>>> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException to extend
>>> org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException instead of
>>> CascadingException.
>>> The change is backward-compatible and is a one-line change that can
>>> be reverted easily, but might have implications on the way we manage
>>> exceptions in the future.
>>> I've already performed the change locally and everything compiles.
>>> Tests fail, but they failed also before the change :-(.
>>> So, please cast your votes.
>> -1
> Nicola, could you summarize the reasons for your -1?
> (... I haven't followed the previous discussion on exceptions very
> closely, so pls forgive if you already pointed out your concerns)

Nicola can speak for himself I suppose...

however, reading his answer again in the previous thread:

...I find some recognisable motivation for my personal under-enthousiasm
on this topic

What I personally catched from the previous thread was (besides some
fond memories of C++) some tendency towards a more nuanced view saying
we should be cautious with checked exceptions and carefully decide when
and where to introduce them. (by considering both sides of the contract
that defines them?)

I grade my personal under-enthousiasm to the level of "indifference",
leading me to a neutral 0-vote: a free ticket to those that are
enthousiast :-)

For sure a set of more balanced considerations on the interfaces at hand
(rather then a generalizing reaction triggered by some modern
reactionary movement) would of have easily catched my enthousiasm...

Marc Portier
Read my weblog at

View raw message