cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Checked exceptions considered harmful
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:47:49 GMT
Leon Widdershoven wrote:

> BTW, I like exceptions - in general - but Java (especially the standard
> libs) make so much use
> of them that the effect is more like "Oh no - another one" in stead of
> "Oh yeah - that can happen".

I think hit the nail right on the head.

The problem with object orientation is that programmers *love*
abstractions, categorizations and conceptualizations. It's irresistible
to add yet another abstraction, one concept to rule them all.

I admit I am the first to blame for that. Both avalon and cocoon contain
high level abstractions that maybe shouldn't have been there in the
first place.

KISS, XP, "less is more": all these practices preach more against
useless abstractions that against design itself.

And Exceptions are just another one of those things where predicting all
possible scenarios that would go wrong is such a sexy mental exercise
for some that gets you exactly there: annoyed by it, when you don't care
about (somebody else's!) conceptual elegance, but you just want the damn
thing to work and your colleagues to stop breaking it everytime.

"do the simplest thing that can possibly work".

some people will think I'm crazy to claim this overhere, on top of a few
million lines of java code ;-)

well, sometimes the job is so hard that the simplest thing is just
terribly complex.

--
Stefano.