cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: [RT] Checked exceptions considered harmful
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:36:40 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
>>> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Berin Loritsch
>>>
>>> Really?  I did the exact same thing and got an error during
>>> compilation. It must be a stricter IDE specific compiler.  I'm not
>>> sure that we can count on that continuing to be the case forever
>>> though.
>>

>> No, but they have to change the Java language spec for it to
>> happen:
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/exceptions.doc.ht
>> ml
>>
>>    "The runtime exception classes (RuntimeException and its
>> subclasses) are exempted from compile-time checking"
>

> Ok.  You learn something new every day.  So then the compiler that
> forced me to check those exceptions was overzealous or in violation
> of the Java spec.

Exempted -as far as my english goes - is excused. If you are exempted
from class you need not go to that class, but if you wanted to
you could. (It's been a long that, school, maybe I got that wrong:)

Does exempted mean "compiler is not allowed to"or "compiler does not
have to" (the latter would be evil of course since it would
leave a degree of freedom in the specs, but I don't think that's
exacltly unheard of)

Leon