cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: [RT] Checked exceptions considered harmful
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:32:42 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> I must say that I started this discussion with an open mind, but the
>> more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Bruce Eckel is
>> right: Java doesn't need checked exceptions, they are a failed
>> experiment.
>

> One could extend the concept and say the same about strong typing.

Java might say it has strong typing, but I'd call it strong inconvenient
typing. C++ has strong convenient typing - just like
Java 1.5 (as far as I've seen it).
I will party when 1.5 gets mainstream - typed collections and
polymorphic numbers/Numbers at last! If we wait another
5 years you'll hardly see any difference with C++ at all (except for
memory management of course).

Leon