cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leon Widdershoven <...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: Back button of my navigator
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:04:04 GMT
First of all, caching should be implemented by the client (browser). If
that does not listen
to the cache directive, you are out of luck.

Cache-Control is implemented by all http1.1 conform clients (otherwise
it's not conform:).
I  think every modern browser is such a client (IE6, Mozilla, Opera,
Konqueror...)..

Older browsers often, but bot always, use Pragma. That's I think in
Netscape 4.x and
such. If you need compatibilty with very old browsers you have to look
up their docs.

Cache-Control also protects you from eager proxies, which can also cache
data. And
so does Pragma:) Cache-Control is also good for "secret", or sensitive
data, but i think
"private" is the more correct directive for that (it tells proxies not
to cache).

For a news site which is updated once an hour you can add an expiration
date.

That's what I know. I don't usually have a lot to do with that stuff. If
you have special needs
just look up the http1 and http1.1 specs. Headers can be usefull.

Leon