cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: [RT] RepositorySource
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:38:53 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:
> Am Do, den 08.04.2004 schrieb Guido Casper um 20:18:
>
>>Stephan Michels wrote:
>>
>>>What the status of the WebDAVSource? It seems that it doesn't implement
>>>any versioning. Or am I wrong?
>>
>>No. I (vaguely) remember some discussion considering your
>>VersionableSource vs. Sylvain's VersionedSource from:
>>http://www.cocoondev.org/projects/cvssource.html
>>
>>However ...
>>

>>>Do you have plan to do something in this direction?
>>
>>I like the fact that WebDAV makes versions available via seperate URIs.
>>So there is no need (and no value IMO) to have things like
>>get/setVersion() since there is no way to anticipate the versioning
>>scheme (i.e. what's the name of the previous version?). All you need is
>>a way to get at an ordered list of versions which might as well be
>>complete version URIs.
>

> Do you have an example to get older versions via URI?

The DeltaV spec has a REPORT method which allows for a version-tree
report listing the URIs of all version resources.
http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/rfc3253.html#rfc.section.3.7

Slide's WebdavResource has a report() method accounting for that.

>>I wonder if it's a good idea to expand this concept to the Repository
>>interface so any implementation can make up its own or find a common URI
>>scheme that includes versioning/branching/etc. information. It is quite
>>easy for an application to manage things like "versioning state" on its
>>own and the Repository stays more generic.
>

> Okay, what do you use as client? The WebDAV client of Slide? Is it good
> enough?

Well, Slide's "old" WebDAV client seems to be the most complete right now.

Slide's CVS contains a JSR147 implementation as well. JSR147 strangely
is geared towards DeltaV-only. Slide's implementation therefore has some
proprietary extensions (I never understood why there is no JSR for a
general WebDAV API). AFAIU these extension has been proposed to the
expert group (the creator of slide's implementation is a member thereof).

TBH I don't know what your best bet right now is. But Slide's "old"
WebDAV client is quite stable, already part of Cocoon's CVS and "good
enough" for anything I can think of right now.

Guido

--
Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source