cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:05:36 GMT
I want to create a migration path away from avalon.

I propose to have a sandbox so that people know that somehow they should
be thinking about migration. It's sort of a framework deprecation signal.

The idea is that we'll start with a sandbox, then people realize that
blocks give them better functionality, so they make an effort to pay the
"migration cost" because of the additional functionality.

This will take a while, potentially years, and after that period, we can
remove the sandbox, unlocking ourselves from avalon.

On the other hand, Carsten, what you are proposing locks us forever
connected to a particular years-old version of avalon that might be soon
deprecated by its own project.

Would the need to modify/update avalon framework emerge, we would be
required to change it, this will create a fork.

I remain against having the core of the cocoon kernel depend on anything
in the org.apache.avalon.* namespace: it might save us problems in the
present, but open a can of worms in the future.

--
Stefano.