cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:50:42 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

>> So, like we already said before, it is *totally* possible to have a
>> block load avalon components thru an avalon sandbox (sort of a
>> avalon->cocoon adapter). This allows you to reuse your avalon stuff
>> "AS IS". But this also means that your block cannot expose those
>> components outside of that block.
>
> Are there reasons that prevent me from writting a 'block wrapper' which
> can be exposed?

good question... I don't know :-)

Look: at the very end, I have no problems in having all sorts of
machinery to have avalon components run AS IS in cocoon 2.2. I believe
it to be a monumental PITA to do correctly, given the avalon 4.x way of
doing stuff (keep in mind that avalon is older than cocoon and was
designed on a java 1.1 JVM, in some senses is archaic), but I would love
to be proven wrong.

At the same time, to put it rather explicitly: I don't want anything in
org.apache.avalon.* to be a core dependency of org.apache.cocoon.*
anymore because I don't trust avalon anymore: avalon is quicksand and
you can't expect it to be there tomorrow in the same shape you want it
to be.

--
Stefano.