cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/web3/samples samples.xml
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:22:30 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> antonio@apache.org wrote:
>
>> antonio     2004/04/05 05:25:36
>>
>>   Log:
>>   removing encoding="ISO-8859-1"
>

> Why?

Yes, why? UTF-8 is the XML default, but very few general purpose editors
(i.e. non-XML editors) handle it correctly. So I'm wondering the value
of this change : can't every dict file use the encoding that's most
suited for its target language.

Also, how does CVS handle UTF-8 files? I mean what happens if a byte in
a 2-bytes character is  a "\n"? When checked out on Window, does it
become "\r\n"? This can lead to very weird questions...

Sylvain