cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel22] How to develop a component?
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:24:10 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what the current kernel already provides
> and what not.
>
> Let's forget all the xml (descriptors etc) for a moment. Imagine I
> want to write a block, that provides - let's say a special file
> generator - that can be used in other blocks (in my app block).
>
> Now, obviously this generator will implement our Cocoon Generator interface.
> What else does the kernel already provide for the component lifecycle?
> (Logging, Configuration etc.)
>
> Or is this a to discuss/do?

I guess it's a to-do/to-discuss.

The block design didn't deal with component lifecycle because that's
another concern (and, originally, it was supposed to be taken care of by
avalon).

I don't know Pier's ideas about this.

I think it's a good time for cleaning up what avalon did wrong, simplify
as much as we can and tune it for our needs.

But I'm wide open to suggestions, as long as we move away from avalon.

--
Stefano.