cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: disabling widgets
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:46:46 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Leon Widdershoven wrote:
>

>>> - move to a generator approach.
>>

>> Do you mean generator-only approach? I think that would limit the
>> options of the users quite a bit (and I am one of those). I actually
>> like the pipeline
>> approach so that you can build your XML tree dynamically; if one
>> would move
>> to a generator only approach other generator-only functionalities
>> (xsp, though
>> that appears to be deprecated) can not really be used anymore.
>>
>> As you notice I am not well enough at home in cocoon core matters to
>> really have an opinion, but two months ago when I started using
>> cocoon (and I am working full time with cocoon-2.1.4) the fact that
>> the xsp was a generator only brought me a lot of trouble so I have a
>> bit of a phobia about that.
>

> Sylvain is not proposing to scrap pipelining, just to merge a couple
> of stages. At present, in CForms, you can have:
>
> JXTemplateGenerator->FormTransformer->XSLT->Serialise
>
> What is being proposed is to use JXMacros in JXTemplateGenerator to
> implement the functionality of the FormTransformer, so you get:
>
> JXTemplateGenerator->XSLT->Serialise
>
> So, hopefully this scares you less. The template that is being worked
> with is very much an XML one - XML to HTML transformation remains
> steadfastly with XSLT.

Exactly. This idea came from the fact that the form state participates
in defining the page layout through widget states (in the global
meaning, e.g. when a repeater is empty).

And if this isn't taken into account at the generator level (a dynamic
one, like JXTemplate), this leads to defining control structure
statements in the markup handled by a transformer. And this leads to
defining a myriad of similar-yet-different markups all over the place,
for a result that cannot achieve the expressional power of a single
dynamic generator (be it JXTemplate or XSP).

In short, transformers should not be used to define the document
_structure_.

And believe me, I love pipelines ;-)

Sylvain