cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Repository
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:20:59 GMT
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>>>What do u mean? I thin forrests LinkRewriter is doing a fine job. Please
>>>explain your idea in more detail.
>>
>>I'm thinking of managing linking information within metadata/properties
>>in a bidirectional way so that broken links may be prevented/detected
>>early on in the authoring process.
>

> Mmmh. Ok, I understand your requirement. I thought, if we use "hrefs"
> like "site:..." and the LinkRewriter we do not need to care about broken
> links etc, since we refer to a symbolic href target in docs only. We
> only need to maintain the link db for the LinkRewriter which itself (the
> db) is a doc in the repository.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes I think LinkRewriter is nice for many use cases. But it doesn't
answer what happens if you delete a document being linked by another
document. And I'm unsure wether maintaining a central link db is a good
way to do this kind of link management. I see LinkRewriter somehow
orthogonal to what I have in mind.

But currently it's not much more than an idea (there is no code) and I'm
interested to hear other opinions.

>>>I thought of that, too. Please explain your idea in more detail :)
>>>
>>>So u want users to act on a RepositrySource instance instead of the
>>>single interfaces like TraversableSource and VersionableSource for
>>>example?
>>
>>No, I mean a Source implementation implementing all the needed
>>subinterfaces while operating only on the Repository interface
>>(currently lacking getChildren() etc. for the traversable stuff). So
>>that not every repository needs to implement its own Source.
>

> Ah, ok.
>

>>For a particular repository, implementing the Repository interface may
>>in summary be the same amount of work (although you may be less
>>distracted by the special semantics of Sources), but you get more
>>functionality (and better testability) and the Source implementation
>>comes for free.
>

> Ok.
>

> A very important question for me:
>
> When can there be some alpha code seeds available in cvs?
>
> I saw there is sth. changing already in the repository block.
> I'm especially interested in versioning of the rep. sources.

I just committed an impl for WebDAV. It needs completion and more
testing (I'll come up with samples later).

However I'm currently not working on a RepositorySource.

Guido

--
Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source