cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Damioli <cedric.dami...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: CocoonTask
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:21:11 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>> Cédric Damioli wrote:

>>> I'm ok with the concept of "single entry point", but what I wanted
>>> is the possibility to act on the CocoonBean before processing the
>>> different uris.
>>> Imagine you have a Java method returning a Collection of uris to be
>>> processed, you may want to directly fill the CocoonBean with this
>>> Collection, instead of dynamically re-creating the CocoonBean
>>> configuration.
>>

> So you're saying that you've got code running in other Ant tasks, and
> that Java code wants to make collection data available to the
> CocoonTask? How would it get there? Could you include a sample of the
> code that your CocoonAntDelegate would use?

The AntDelegate I currently use is basically like :

public process (Document xconf, String uriGroup,
org.apache.tools.ant.Project project)
{
        CocoonBean cocoon = new CocoonBean();

       // Adding some target URIs, coming from anywhere (database, Ant
properties, environment, ...)
       cocoon.addTarget(...);

       // Adding some listeners
       cocoon.addListener(...);

       BeanConfigurator.configure(...);

        cocoon.initialize();
        cocoon.process();
        cocoon.dispose();
}

I see the AntDelegate as a bridge between Ant and Cocoon worlds : it is
why I included the Project as third argument. But I think it's not
enough : the AntDelegate could be extensible, and become a "real" class
(not only with a single static method), or even an interface with the
current AntDelegate as a default implementation.

BTW, i don't see why you used an OutputStreamListener as last argument
of BeanConfigurator.configure()
IIUC, the OutputStreamListener mixes two roles : a role of
DefaultListener (logging to stdout) and a role of reporter (generating a
report for broken-links), actually used by the BeanConfigurator. May
this Listener be split into two : a DefaultListener and a
BrokenLinksListener ?

>>> I wanted to add org.apache.cocoon.bean.BeanListener implementations
>>> to my instance of CocoonBean.
>>> The problem with adding this at BeanConfigurator level is that we
>>> can't interact with the Ant Project (or its Properties), for
>>> example, or whatever is not directly tied to the Bean.
>>

> Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean that you can't interact
> with the Ant project? You can use Ant properties in the Cocoon task.
> Are you looking for a greater integration?

Let me give an example :
I have a Java class able to retrieve somewhere (in a DB with JDBC, or in
a XML file, ...) a list of uris to be processed by the CocoonBean.
I have to instanciate this class, set some parameters and finally asking
it for the URIs list.

I'm not an Ant expert, but I think it would be hard to do it easily in
pure Ant. With my new AntDelegate, it's very easy.

> I think you're getting at something here. What I'd like to see is the
> Ant task using Ant's methods and approaches to configure itself,
> rather than using Java - putting your code into Java can hide it, as
> far as the Ant script is concerned.

>>> Of course, but I think that the xconf format is already very
>>> complete for users who do not want to write any Java code : all the
>>> setters of the Bean have their counterparts in the xconf format
>>> (except the addBuildListener). The next step would be to add a
>>> syntax to add Java entry points (such as  : <listener class="..."/>
>>> or <configurator class="..."/>) but users of such a syntax would
>>> have to write Java code anyway.
>>>
>>> What I proposed is to have the possibility to extend the CocoonTask
>>> (or the AntDelegate, or both) to provide access to users (such as me
>>> :-) ) who want to have more control over the Bean.
>>

> I'm okay with that, but I'd like to see if it is possible to keep that
> sort of configuration out of Java, until really necessary.
>
> I'd love to see ways of dynamically creating your list of URIs, and a
> range of other bean listeners that do other things, other than the
> default one, etc ,etc.

I have written a few.
The Ant script containing my Cocoon Task is running in a separate Thread
and executes periodically. The execution may take many hours. I have
written a BeanListener which stores the current state of the build :
number of pages currently processed, stats on their contents, ..., so
that a user connected to the monitoring page may follow the build.

> Regards, Upayavira

Cédric