cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: excluding unstable blocks by default
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:22:15 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Upayavira wrote:
>

>>To my mind, Mark makes some interesting points here. Could we
>>get away from using a simple include/exclude, and have:
>>
>>build stable      <-- only stable stuff
>>build unstable   <-- stable and unstable
>>build webapp   <-- only stable stuff
>>
>>Or better:
>>
>>configure stable      <-- only stable stuff
>>configure unstable   <-- stable and unstable
>>configure webapp   <-- only stable stuff
>>
>>That way, it isn't much work to get the unstable stuff, but
>>you've got to ask for it.
>>

>And you mean, build webapp is an alias for build stable, right.
>I would prefer "build xyz".

The build webapp as an alias was the weakest bit of my suggestion -
aimed at lending _some_ backwards compatibility.

If we do build webapp as an alias of build unstable, people could just
carry on as they are, without noticing any change. Now, perhaps that is
in fact a good thing. People who know of build webapp, and know its
behaviour, get what they expect. Whereas new users, who read the docs,
get to choose between stable and unstable. Then there's the question of
which target to make default, if any.

Upayavira