cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <>
Subject Re: Repository
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:40:27 GMT
Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 08:34, Guido Casper wrote:
>>On top of this other higher level components might be build. Among the
>>things I have in mind are:
>>-a document store accommodating a certain array of use cases and being
>>simple to use from the flow layer (in fact there might be different
>>kinds of document stores being shielded from the particular repository
>>-a workflow component (although that shouldn't be bound to the repository)
> Good point. For workflow info is expressed through metadata/properties I
> bound to "document" stored in a repository. At the mom Lenya uses a set
> of xml to express workflow states etc. which is also somehow bound to a
> document.
> Of course workflow is needed, but has nothing to do with the repository.
> The repository interface should simply enable annotating "docs" with
> appropiate wf metadata/properties.
> Makes sense?

Yes, just have some kind of "WorkflowObject" that serves as a decoupling
adapter between workflow and repository so that workflow can be used
with other components as well.

>>-link management
> What do u mean? I thin forrests LinkRewriter is doing a fine job. Please
> explain your idea in more detail.

I'm thinking of managing linking information within metadata/properties
in a bidirectional way so that broken links may be prevented/detected
early on in the authoring process.

>>-a RepositorySource(2)
> I thought of that, too. Please explain your idea in more detail :)
> So u want users to act on a RepositrySource instance instead of the
> single interfaces like TraversableSource and VersionableSource for
> example?

No, I mean a Source implementation implementing all the needed
subinterfaces while operating only on the Repository interface
(currently lacking getChildren() etc. for the traversable stuff). So
that not every repository needs to implement its own Source.

For a particular repository, implementing the Repository interface may
in summary be the same amount of work (although you may be less
distracted by the special semantics of Sources), but you get more
functionality (and better testability) and the Source implementation
comes for free.

Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source
                     Tel.: +49-5251-1581-87