cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [POLL] don't edit files just for style changes?
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:49:26 GMT
Bruno Dumon dijo:
> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 16:18, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Lately there have been several hints that people are annoyed by commits
>> consisting only of style changes (rearranging imports, "cleaning up"
>> indents) etc.
>
> I think it boils down to whether the "style change" is an improvement or
> not. Every improvement is welcome.
>
> Fixing indents like:
>
> for (...) {
>     statements
>        }

> for (...) {
>     statements
> }
>
> is a clear improvement.
>
> Changing a simple if to a complex if:
>
> if (...)
>     one statement

> if (...) {
>     one statement
> }
>
> isn't IMO. We don't have any rules for this, so one person might be
> changing them from the first style to the second style, while another
> person might be doing the reverse.

I tought we was follow the java sun standard. The ASF point to that. We
can also write:

if (...)
{
   one statement
}

Part of the quality of code is to follow one code convention (whatever).
Because it make easier reading the code. Is not enough the size of the
Cocoon, the diferent code conventions make it harder to learn. Now, I
really feel like a stupid that waste his own time worthless. :-(

I will avoid doing that. I really got the message.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.