cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [build system] - Fine grain inclusion of optional libs?
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:05:18 GMT
Joerg Heinicke dijo:
> On 05.04.2004 02:41, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Currently, the optional libs always are copied to the resulted build.
>> Seems like it is the same as puting them in lib/core dir. That apporach
>> is
>> not good at all. I would like to see an extension of the current Cocoon
>> build system that will check if every optional lib need to be included
>> or
>> not.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Based on what information? At the moment libs are added in dependency on
> selected blocks. The optional libs are in use in different blocks. So
> you either have to double them by putting one jar in block 1 and block
> 2, or only in block 1 and let depend block 2 on block 1 (which is
> completely painful as there is mostly no need for this
> inter-block-dependency), or put each optional jar in its own block and
> let the blocks needing this jar depend on the jar's block. Some optional
> jars are not even tight to any block, e.g. servlet.jar or pizza
> compiler, they are just optional (chosen environment, chosen compiler).
> Furthermore these are only 13 jars. IMO it's not worth any of the effort.

Since I am from the "old school" each byte is a worth to me. But, in this
case we are talking about 13 jars and this is a "lot" to me. Also, why we
need to choose and remove then manually when a the machine can do it for
us?

The information can be easily stored in the current lib.xml. AFAIK, there
is a very loosely information of what block use this jar <used-by/>. So we
can "format" this info and use it. Here a snip of a shared lib in current
lib.xml:

<file>
    <title>Jakarta Commons Logging</title>
    <description>The Logging package ...</description>
    <used-by>Jakarta Commons HttpClient, Chaperon</used-by>
    <lib>optional/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar</lib>
    <homepage>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html</homepage>
  </file>

By defining a format for <used-by/> we can take advantage of them.

WDYT?

> BTW, jstyle.jar might be only be of interest for the xsp block, so it
> can possibly be moved to this block.

A big +1 if only XSP block use it! :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo