cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [POLL] don't edit files just for style changes?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:14:33 GMT
Le 17 avr. 04, à 21:39, Tony Collen a écrit :
> ...My condition [a] on the item above was that we should try to
> eliminate people from having to make these code changes in the first
> place.  We should be following the standard Java style, and most IDEs
> can help enforce this...

I don't think an IDE-based solution will work for this with our diverse
environment.

> ...Is it possible to fit a code reformatting filter between our cvs
> commit and the repository?

This was discussed before IIRC, and we agreed on not making this
compulsory or automatic.

But, as Ralph suggests in another reply, having a tool (checkstyle or
something) which people are expected to run *manually* on their code
before committing might be the best help.

This would still allow quick fixes to be done without being blocked by
style problems (like when editing older code which has "bad" style),
while letting us improve things.

In the meantime, let's keep the "style-only" CVS commits to a minimum.
I think there's agreement about this as the general rule, but, as
always, intelligent exceptions to the rule are always welcome!

-Bertrand