cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Continue Development of 2.1.x
Date Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:32:50 GMT
Gosh, I wish I could use a real mail program. I've cut your message to just
the stuff I'm responding to.

1. I don't understand why you need separate repositories.  Why are CVS
branches not good enough?  On an unrelated topic, I would suggest looking at
subversion. I had to use if to grab something from the incubator and its
pretty cool. Plus it easily went through my companies firewall as it is http
based.

2. Yes, we have to compile now. But that doesn't eliminate the binary
compatibility issues, it just reduces them.  In fact, I was using the APIs
you want to eliminate up until a few months ago when you posted the "proper"
way to get what I wanted.  The bottom line here is that once an API is
public you cannot know that it isn't being called by a user, unless it has
requirements that just can't be met in a "user component" (whatever that
is).

3. The issues you raise regarding not being able to maintain binary
compatibility are one of my greatest concerns with using Cocoon and open
source in general. Once a formal release is made the project should be
rather draconian in its view of dependencies - they shouldn't be updated
unless they ONLY contain bug fixes. IMO product stability should be the
number one goal of point releases (i.e. 2.1.x), and it should improve with
each one.

However, I am not a Cocoon committer, so it really isn't up to me to say how
the respository is organized.  But as a user of Cocoon I care greatly about
how I am going to be able to maintain it after my system goes live.  I'd
prefer not to have to freeze it at a particular point release and perform
hand patches after that.

Ralph