cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: fi:booleanfield[fi:styling/@type='output']
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:52:37 GMT
On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:15:36PM +0200, Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 20:55, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > It worked just fine for all those pages were you just need to output
> > value of the widget and don't need to read it.
>
> In other words, for those things for which you don't need a widget at
> all ;-) Though I understand you do it this way if the data is logically
> part of the form.

Hey!  I keep seeing people seeming to think of cforms as just a thin
layer to manage request parameters :(  We are actually building a full
data model, with internal and external validation, event triggers,
recursive data structures, access permissions (normal r/w widgets vs.
"output" widgets vs. other proposed modes like no-echo passwords), and
so forth.  Just because some data is read-only does not mean it should
not be modeled via a widget, and thus lose all of the other features we
gain by using our widget-based data model.

I see people embedding cforms in portals/coplets, but when our various
cforms repositories and dynamic widget handling is mature I think this
will be turned inside out.  Think about a new coplet-widget... ;^)

(This is not directed at you Bruno...I just think we need to realize
the full extent of what we are creating.)

--Tim Larson