cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: generator type value substitution
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:44:46 GMT
On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:34:14PM -0500, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> Tony Collen <colle006@umn.edu> writes:
> >
> > Leszek Gawron wrote:
> > > Why doesn't <map:generate type="{1}"/> work ? I cannot find the
> > > explanation in the archives. I am currently porting all my xsp
> > > generators to Java based (compile time errors were a real
> > nightmare).
> > > I am not able to use flow here - I need to use the pull model - the
> > > generator gets data from database, applies non trivial
> > logic and then
> > > outputs the sax events.
> > >
> > > I use cocoon as a second tier which provides data for my
> > C++ clients
> > > (http protocol). The documents generated for offline
> > synchronization
> > > contains sometimes 10k+ nodes (files reach 2.5 MB )
> > >
> > > I cannot use jxtg as I heavily mix iterative data retrieval from
> > > database and data manipulation.
> > >
> > > Previously (with xsps) I could do <map:generate type="serverpages"
> > > src="{1}.xsp"/>. With java generators this turns into a
> > sitemap nightmare.
> > > 	lg
> > >

> > Hmm, What about writing a selector to choose which generator to use?
>
> Missed the original e-mail, why not just push the problem down a level:
>
> 	<map:generate type="superGenerator" src="{1}"/>
>
> SuperGenerator can then figure out what to do by looking at the
> source...
I have already thought of that but the problemis that here the "source" is the
generator name. Do you know how should I lookup a generator, setup it properly
(to support map:parameter for example) and than invoke it? with everything
done not to break sitemap reloading (new generators may come in place, old may
be deleted), caching and other stuff I cannot really comprehend :)

AFAIU this is exactly a small part of a TreeProcessor functionality and the
TreeProcessor itself is really complicated. I'am afraid I would have to
rewrite/duplicate a lot of code.

--
            __
        \_\\  //_/       ouzo@wlkp.org           _\\()//_