cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Use of flowscript or the pyramid of contracts
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:45:06 GMT
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:59:20AM +0200, Guido Casper wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> >Guido Casper dijo:

> >>I don't think developers aren't eager to write reusable components. But
> >>currently it's just that hard to come up with components really making
> >>the user's life easier.
> >

> >Yep. One of the things that refrained us to write components is the too
> >much overhead they have:
>
> Antonio, I think you may be right. But what I'm after is that I don't
> care that much how difficult it is to _write_ that components than I do
> for how difficult it is to _use_ that components. If the developer
> thinks it is worth it she happily goes the extra mile. Think how
> difficult it is for a newbie to write a sitemap component and how easy
> it is to use it.
The problem in writing components is the lack of documentation. After you are
a little bit familiar with cocoon internals (and without docs that comes after
quite a long time) writing a simple component is a piece of cake when you use
such tools as eclipse that generates all methods you have to implement
automatically.

Another thing is that people using cocoon in some part do not know Java at all
or at the level that stops them from doing any serious development. When I
started to use cocoon my Java knowledge was minimal. For two weeks I tried to
at least understand what the samples do and how this magic works. Cocoon users
are thrown on a very deep water at once. Almost every aspect of a web
publishing or application is implemented here in a innovative way. (sitemap,
transformers, flowscript, form frameworks).
	lg
--
            __
        \_\\  //_/       ouzo@wlkp.org           _\\()//_