cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Web based GUI development environment for Cocoon
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:51:35 GMT
On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:25:33AM +0200, Jens Maukisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I propose we create a web based GUI development environment for Cocoon
> > build using Cocoon technology, such as CForms, flow, portals, etc.
>
> [...]
>
> > WDYT?
>
> Hmm, a webapplication for developing webapplications seems a little
> bit strange for me :-)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have a 'real' ide (e.g. based on eclipse).
> Maybe the upcoming Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (with some
> nice contributions form IBM:
> http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~dar/wdt/ibm.html) and other available tools
> are a good point to start/extend.
There is a tool that uses both (commercial). It's called W4Toolkit. Strange
really :))

I am also in favour of eclipse as one would have one place to
- code in Java
- edit XML files
- edit sitemap (sunBow)
- build up forms (cocoon GUI)

using a non-web IDE would make the implementation much simpler I think as
after the application reaches some point of complexity it is a nightmare to
provide a good and flexible GUI.

Remember that developers usually do not use the mouse so often - keyboard is
much faster if you know the shortcuts. The standard application can also make
use of other features like drag'n'drop or executing external applications.

	lg
--
            __
        \_\\  //_/       ouzo@wlkp.org           _\\()//_