cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Web based GUI development environment for Cocoon
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:35:46 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> writes:

> Le 5 avr. 04, à 18:09, Hunsberger, Peter a écrit :
> > ...Anyone know if Flex is even something we could
> > really generate (legally) from Cocoon?
>
> This document
> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/articles> /paradigm.html
>
> says "The first time a user requests
> HelloWorld.mxml, the server
> compiles the MXML code into Flash bytecode (a SWF file)....
>
> So IIUC, the Flex XML is not sent to the client but rather used by a
> (proprietary) server to build an SWF file.

Ok, I remember reading about that now.

> If this is right, and unless there's an open Flex-to-SWF conversion
> tool, or Flash clients support Flex, we should rather generate SWF
> directly, either improving the existing Spark-based stuff or using
> JGenerator (http://www.flashgap.com/, apparently distributed under an
> Apache style license).

I guess, but since the Flex spec is in XML we know we can do that. Having our own Flex to
SWF serializer shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, but may not be legal?  (Anyone
for a Flex to XUL transformer %-?)  Actually, if we're just wanting to "skin" cforms, then
there is no need for the Flex XML...

However, either, way if you want to support the latest Flash features you still need the "compressed"
version of the SWF data stream and I don't know if we can "serialize" that practically or
legally either?