cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: XMLDBSource XPathQueries
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:14:04 GMT
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 18:16, Andrew Thornton wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 15:27, Andrew Thornton wrote:
> >>Hmm. XPaths don't process documents there's an XPathProcessor for that.
> >>Similarly is it correct the XPointers process Contexts?
> >

> > Not sure what you mean with the word "XPaths" here. Are you referring to
> > a class or to XPath expressions themselves?
>
> I meant the Xpath expressions. Just thinking aloud. Maybe the classes
> are misnamed, they're really XPointerProcessors.

in a sense, yes, though I don't think they're really misnamed. The
XPointer class represents a parsed XPointer and has behaviour for
evaluating that XPointer.

> >>That being said, I think the XmlnsPart.process() does do the right
> >>thing. It sets the namespaces on the Context. Maybe the XPointerPart is
> >>trying to do too much. Perhaps the XPointerPart should simply do the
> >>XPath with respect to the Context, and not stream?
> >
> > And what alternative do you propose?
> >

> I don't think that the XPointerPart.process() should stream the result.
> It should XPointerContext.setXPointerResult(NodeList) or return the
> NodeList.

Ah, here lies the problem: the reason the pointerparts directly stream
the results is to allow streaming behaviour, i.e. they should not be
obliged to create a DOM tree but allow streaming processing.